Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Can A Woman Be A "Best Man?"

Over the years, women have become equal (more or less) to men, but are there still unspoken inequalities or stigmas? Can a man be a “stay at home mom?” Can a woman be a “best man?” If a man does decide to stay at home with the child and the woman keeps her career, will he be looked at in a negative or even feminine light?  Will a woman who is a “best man” be considered manly in doing so?
All of these questions have been racing though my head over the past two weeks. It all started when my best friend, James, approached me to be his “best man.” Due to unforeseen problems with his friends in his bridal party, he turned to me to be his “best man” since I am someone that he trusts. The first things that came to mind were “is it weird that I am going to be his best man, do I have to make a speech still, and most importantly, what am I suppose to wear?” 

As soon as I was approached about being the “best man,” I told my boyfriend who unintentionally gave me a perplexed look. He quickly responded with “can a female be the “best man?” At that moment, it dawned on me that even though it may not be traditional, there is no reason why a man HAS to be the “best man” (other than the title). I view this more like an opportunity to be on the cutting edge. I love pushing boundaries and this gives me the chance to do so even more. After doing some research, I found that it is not completely uncommon. Instead of being called the “best man,” I would be called the “Groom’s Attendant.” What worries me the most is what to wear! I find myself completely turned-off to the idea of wearing a suit. I cannot bring myself to dress like a man even though I am filling the role that is traditionally held by a male. I plan (if it is approved by the bride and groom) to wear a short black dress with a bow the color of the bridesmaids dresses around the waist. Therefore, I will still have the “tux” look but while keeping a very feminine appearance. Even though there is still four months till the wedding, I am still concerned with my role as Groom’s Attendant. While Online, I came across an interesting article that was able to put my nerves at ease (for the most part).  I am becoming more and more excited and honored about my new role. Now, the only question left unanswered is...Do I plan the bachelor party? 

Click on this link to view the article about blurring gender boundaries…


Important Vocabulary
  1. Inequality - A difference between two things; to be unequal.
  2. Stigma -Something that is looked down upon.
  3. Unforeseen - Something that was not expected to happen.
  4. Unintentionally - Did not mean to do something.
  5. Perplex - To be confused.
  6. Dawned - To realize.
  7. Cutting Edge - Something that is new or that has not been done before.
  8. Attendant - Someone who is there to help.
  9. Ease - To make less tense.
  10. Blurring - To make unclear.


Cloze Exercise

  1. According to Jim, it is considered a _______________________ for a man to stay at home and take care of the kids instead of the wife. 
  2. In order to __________________ Marc’s anxiety, Tom loaned him his car so that Marc could get to work on time.
  3. It finally _________________ on Jessica that her boyfriend loved her very much when he proposed to her yesterday.
  4. After Travis randomly quit the baseball team, Steve was left ___________________ because he was under the impression that Travis loved baseball.
  5. As the rain fell on the windshield, Cally became increasing worried since the rain was __________________ her view of the road.
  6. Since Gwen never pumped gas on her own, she asked the gas station _________________ to help her.
  7. Even though African Americans have gained many rights, there are many ______________________________ that still exist today.
  8. Chris _______________________ hurt his girlfriend’s feelings when he said that he did not like her dress. 
  9. Due to ________________________ circumstances, Claire had to take her AP Government class 4th period instead of 7th.
  10. When Twiggy was the first girl to dye her hair blue, she was considered _________________________ to her peers because it was first time anyone in her school had done that. 

Grammar Point

While reading the passage, there are a range of definite and indefinite articles used. The definite article introduces a noun phrase and refers that the thing mentioned has already been mentioned, is common knowledge, or is about to be defined. It refers to a specific object that both the person speaking and the listener know. The indefinite article introduces a noun phrase and suggests that the thing mentioned is not a specific object or one of a number of the same objects. It is also used to introduce new concepts or ideas. The definite article includes –the, while, the indefinite articles include –a/–an.

Based on these definitions, read over the examples taken from the blog below and list the definite and indefinite articles and then explain what they do.

  1. I view this more like an opportunity to be on the cutting edge.
  2. Instead of being called the “best man,” I would be called the “Groom’s Attendant.”
  3. I find myself completely turned-off to the idea of wearing a suit.
  4. Even though there is still 4 months till the wedding, I am still concerned with my role as Groom’s Attendant.
  5. While Online, I came across an interesting article that was able to put my nerves at ease (for the most part). 

 

Grammar Exercise 

Fill in the blanks with either the indefinite (“a,” or “an,”) or the definite article (“the”). Remember to use the definitions from the Grammar Point to help you complete these.  
  1. ____ medicine I took relieved my cough.
  2. I ordered ____ bottle of wine with dinner.
  3. ____ snake that I saw last night is still there.
  4. Did you write ____ report about interest rates that is on my desk?
  5. She answered ____ phone in the kitchen.
  6. She asked to borrow ____ phone from one of her friends.
  7. Please point ____ camera away from the sun when you use it.
  8. I would like ____ camera for my birthday.
  9. The zookeeper fed ____ monkeys.
  10. Would you like ____ pet monkey?
  11. Did he pay you ____ money he owed you?
  12. I put ____ jewelry in the safe.
  13. Did you catch ____ fish that is in the bucket?
  14. ____ research you did is good, but we need a lot more information.
  15. ____ research in the field of neurology is somewhat new.

1 comment: